Sunday, February 21, 2016

Annexation of Hawaii


The cartoon has to do with the annexation of Hawaii. I can see that the cartoonist's message on the annexation is that we did a good thing getting Hawaii and that we saved the farmers from being treated badly. I can see this because the queen looks almost like devil and Uncle Sam and the farmers look like they are taking over. I can see where someone would say that America was doing bad and that this cartoon makes the favor go against imperialism because Uncle Sam looks almost using his power to do anything he wants. Also some people might say that the farmer looks scared because of America/Uncle Sam.
 I think the cartoonist's used labeling with the farmers hat has writing that seems to say provisional government. I think the cartoonist's also used exaggeration with the queens face looking like an evil creature. This cartoon would probably make me support Imperialism because i feel like the queen was putting the farmers in a bad spot and that she was the problem that needed to be fixed. Also the queen looks like she was hording the farmers sugar for herself which would make me against her. But the farmer does look scared of Uncle Sam so I think this cartoon would put me in the middle.


"Historical Political Cartoons About Hawaii - Hawai'i Digital Newspaper Project." Historical Political Cartoons About Hawaii - Hawai'i Digital Newspaper Project. N.p., n.d. Web. 21 Feb. 2016.

No comments:

Post a Comment