Monday, February 22, 2016

Spanish-American War


This political cartoon that I have chosen, has to do with the Spanish-American War. Just by looking at the cartoon it seems to be a Cuban mother holding a human. I am unsure whether or not it is a child or a old person that is being held. I feel like the cartoonist's had a negative sight on this war. I can infer that because it looks as in the cartoon that the mother is going through a hard time and is overwhelmed. Also I can see that there is paperwork on the bed and a eagle behind her. The eagle could represent us and how we are the ones stressing the mother out.
 I really can not see another person saying this cartoon is for Imperialism. The cartoonist's seemed to really put the negative connotation with the mother. This really puts you in a sad mood for the mother and it makes you think what your life would be like if you were in her place. This would of definitely put me on the anti-imperialists side. I feel like the cartoonist's used symbolism with the eagle in the background most likely representing the U.S. Also I feel like the cartoonist's used Irony with the audience expecting a baby in the mothers hands but seems to get almost what seems like a dead person.




"Today in Social Sciences..." : The Spanish American War in Some Cartoons. N.p., 16 Mar. 2012. Web. 22 Feb. 2016. <http://todayinsocialsciences.blogspot.com/2012/03/spanish-american-war-in-some-cartoons.html>

No comments:

Post a Comment