Monday, February 22, 2016

Panama Canal



This cartoon is focused on the Panama Canal being built. I can see that in this cartoon that Panama is becoming independent by coming out of the egg and also that it seems that Panama is already agreeing to letting the U.S build the canal. I can also see a man who seems to be holding a fee that says the land is sold to America for 40,000 dollars. I feel like the cartoonist's message was that this was good for us and for Panama. I can infer this because I can see Panama coming out of the egg that was Colombia which should be good for Panama. Also this was a win for us so it was basically a win-win situation. I can not really see where someone would say this is anti-imperialism. I can kinda see where someone would say that the cartoonist's was neutral on the topic but, I cant really see where this cartoon would be anti-imperialism.
The cartoonist's definitely used labeling with all the writing on the paper and eggs. Also I feel like the cartoonist's used Analogy with comparing the country Colombia to the egg. Panama is coming out of the egg which can be seen as Panama coming out of the country. This would promote Imperialism to me and I would most likely be going for Imperialism at this point.



"Almanac of Theodore Roosevelt - Panama Canal - Political Cartoons."Almanac of Theodore Roosevelt - Panama Canal - Political Cartoons. Copyright Chapultepec, Inc. 1999-2016 All Rights Reserved, n.d. Web. 22 Feb. 2016. <http://www.theodore-roosevelt.com/toonsbytopicpanamacanal.html>.

No comments:

Post a Comment