Monday, February 22, 2016

Spanish-American War


The topic in this cartoon has to do with the Spanish-American war a.k.a. the war declared with Spain in 1898. By looking at this cartoon you can see Uncle Sam pulling steel ships to Cuba. Also above Uncle Sam there are writing in clouds that read WAR. I feel like the cartoonist's message was not that he is on the Imperialist or Anti-Imperialists but I feel like the cartoonist's was neutral about it. I can infer this because there are not any signs of bias in this cartoon and it looks like since we were trying to help Cuba he didn't make us looking angry or anything really. I can kinda see where people would say this is against Imperialism because the writing in the sky adds to the negative connotation and that Uncle Sam looks almost too determined.
The Cartoonist's definitely used labeling with the writing WAR in the clouds and the labeling of Cuba. Also I feel like the author used exaggeration with Uncle Same being bigger then Cuba and pulling the ships to Cuba. I feel like this cartoon would put me on a neutral side and just make me move on with my day not having to be on a side. I honestly do feel that this cartoon either was meant to put you on neutral or the cartoonist's had a deeper meaning of this that I am personally not seeing.


"History: Spanish American War." History: Spanish American War. N.p., n.d. Web. 22 Feb. 2016. <http://fabbsabs.blogspot.com/2014/12/spanish-american-war.html>.

No comments:

Post a Comment