Monday, February 22, 2016

Panama Canal



This next political cartoon has to do with the Panama Canal and how we conquered Panama as independent to build a canal for ourselves. Looking at this cartoon I can see Roosevelt digging the canal. Also Roosevelt is huge compared to the little man with the flag that says "new treaty". I feel like the cartoonist's had a positive message on this topic. I can infer that he sees this as positive because as we can see Roosevelt seems to be helping the ships and is helping Panama become independent. Also though Roosevelt does seem to be trying to bury Bogota. I can see where people would say this is anti imperialism because you can say that Roosevelt is trying to bury Bogota.
I can see that the cartoonist's used exaggeration with the size of Roosevelt being extreme. Also Roosevelt seems to be digging out the mountain. I can see that the cartoonist's also used labeling because of the little man holding the sign that says new treaty. I can infer that maybe the cartoonist's was for this new treaty. I feel like I would be on the side of imperialism because of this cartoon.

"Almanac of Theodore Roosevelt - Panama Canal - Political Cartoons."Almanac of Theodore Roosevelt - Panama Canal - Political Cartoons. Copyright Chapultepec, Inc. 1999-2016 All Rights Reserved, n.d. Web. 22 Feb. 2016. <http://www.theodore-roosevelt.com/toonsbytopicpanamacanal.html>.

No comments:

Post a Comment