Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Roosevelt Corollary


This political cartoon shown next has to do with the Roosevelt Corollary. By looking at this I can see Roosevelt acting as a police man. He seems to be disciplining the people as he is bigger then the rest of them. I can also see that the people are from different parts of the world and that they all look up to Roosevelt. I feel like the message the cartoonist's was trying to make was that we need to stop Roosevelt from controlling the whole world and need to take a step back to control ourselves. I infer this because it looks like Roosevelt is almost abusing his powers and making the people his slaves almost. Roosevelt also almost looks threatening with his big stick. I can kinda see where someone would say he's protecting the people and so this is for imperialism but overall I view this as negative.

I can see that the cartoonist's used labeling with the labeling of the world, the stick, and the people. Also I can see that exaggeration was used because Roosevelt wasn't really bigger then everyone and waving around a stick. If I would of seen this back then I would of been frightened by this and though that Roosevelt is hurting the rest of the world and trying to control them too. Overall this cartoon gives a bad vibe off.

"Almanac of Theodore Roosevelt - Panama Canal - Political Cartoons."Almanac of Theodore Roosevelt - Panama Canal - Political Cartoons. Copyright Chapultepec, Inc. 1999-2016 All Rights Reserved, n.d. Web. 22 Feb. 2016. <http://www.theodore-roosevelt.com/toonsbytopicpanamacanal.html>.

No comments:

Post a Comment